Disclaimer: Always consult a physician before beginning a health regimen.
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Drink Recipe: Clementine Moscow Mule
- Potential Benefits of Consistent Supplementation
- Prevent and/or reduce the severity of common illnesses like the common cold or flu (Study Abstract: double-blind, placebo-controlled study abstract)
- High blood pressure (Study Abstract: effects of garlic on patients with essential hypertension)
- Lower cholesterol
Reduce risk of dementia through essential antioxidants
- Battle oxidative stress (Study Abstract: garlic reduces dementia and heart-disease risk)
- As Needed Uses
- Acne – Slice clove in half and rub directly on the affected area
- Cold sores – Cut a thin slice of garlic and put it on the affected area for 5-10 minutes a few times a day
- Tape it on to avoid having to hold it
- It may sting!
- Ear Infection (adults or children) – Crush a clove and combine with 1 TBSP of oil in a pan on the lowest setting. Let it cook together for 10 – 15 minutes. Strain out the chunks of garlic and let the oil cool. Put a few drops of oil in the affected ear(s).
- Splinters – Tape a thin slice of garlic to the affected area. The splinter will work its way out on its own within a few hours.
- Hair Health – Garlic infused oil massaged onto the scalp may stimulate hair growth. Crush 3 cloves and combine with 3 TBSP of oil in a pan on the lowest setting. Let it cook together for 10 – 15 minutes. Strain out the chunks of garlic and let the oil cool. Massage through
- Garlic is best raw (3 – 4 raw cloves daily for supplementation)
- Allicin is activated when raw garlic is chopped, chewed or otherwise cut up
- Cooking garlic destroys the allicin but does not destroy the antioxidant properties
- If using a supplement, make sure it contains allicin
- Because garlic is a natural antibiotic it can impact your gut health – take a probiotic!
Episode Sponsor: Hello Fresh
HelloFresh is a meal kit delivery service that shops, plans, and delivers your favorite step-by-step recipes and pre-measured ingredients so you can just cook, eat, and enjoy. With a great selection of chef-designed meals, tons of flexibility in scheduling your deliveries, and all the built-in convenience of easy step-by-step instructions for getting dinner ready, we’re big fans of what Hello Fresh means to busy families.
Get $30 off your first week of Hello Fresh meals with promo code CRUNCHY30 when you sign up at hellofresh.com.